Re: www.postgresql.org page change?

From: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Michael Glaesemann <grzm(at)myrealbox(dot)com>
Cc: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>, pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: www.postgresql.org page change?
Date: 2004-07-14 14:22:28
Lists: pgsql-www

On Wed, 14 Jul 2004, Michael Glaesemann wrote:

> On Jul 14, 2004, at 10:59 PM, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
>
>> Looks fine to me from here at 11am ADT ... all images load up too ...
>>
>> On Wed, 14 Jul 2004, Michael Glaesemann wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all!
>>>
>>> Looking at www.postgresql.org, it seems the page changed! It looks like
>>> the advocacy page, except the images are broken. What's up? Plus there's
>>> no links to the docs, which is kinda inconvenient.
>
> I'm not sure what happened, but the server was definitely serving up a
> different page for at least a couple of minutes. One person brought it up in
> #postgresql on freenode, and then I and another person verified that it was
> different. (Screenshots from two different machines available if you want.) I
> don't know what happened. I'm just glad it seems to have reverted itself :)

If it ever happens again, can you confirm the IP? I just checked the
server, and the httpd process itself hasn't been restarted since July 3rd,
and I just got into the office, so it isn't something that I did (or
fixed) ... Dave, did you do anything to fix it?

Now, if you say it came up with the advocacy page ... the way that apache
works is if you happen to go in via IP, it will reply with the first
virtual host in its config file ... which happens to be
advocacy.postgresql.org ... but I don't know why, if you went in via name,
it would do that ... and, just checked, and the last time that file was
modified was "Feb 17 12:41" ...

As far as I know, it doesn't even rely on reverse DNS for anything (or,
forward, for that matter), as the way I understand it, the browser sends
the 'hostname' down the stream to tell the web server which virtual host
to do ... which is why some of the older browsers wouldn't work with
virtual named hosts, since they didn't know to send that information down

Anyone else here know more then I do about this sort of thing? Oleg?

----