Re: [Re] Re: PREPARE and transactions

From: "Jeroen T(dot) Vermeulen" <jtv(at)xs4all(dot)nl>
To: Merlin Moncure <merlin(dot)moncure(at)rcsonline(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [Re] Re: PREPARE and transactions
Date: 2004-07-02 15:38:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Jul 02, 2004 at 11:18:44AM -0400, Merlin Moncure wrote:

> Yes, it would. It would actually make my life a lot easier
> (notwithstanding my minor gripe with ExecParams) because I would no
> longer have to deal with all the complexities surrounding prepared
> statements. This is A Good Thing, because the optimization is generic
> and thus will benefit a lot more people.

Okay, off I go into the source code then. :-)

(Which is not to say "I'll have it ready next week" but I can get an idea
of how hard it would be)

> It is also more a more complex optimization model; and I think you would
> have to justifiably prove that it is in the same performance league as
> the current prepared statement model. Also the current prepared

True, there is a cost. OTOH I think the added advantages could pay off
as well, e.g. sharing plans between backends (if there's not too much
locking.

> statement behavior should be retained for 7.5 and perhaps deprecated if
> your viewpoint wins out (and it should).

I guess so. My timing isn't exactly impeccable...

Jeroen