Re: Performance with new nested-xacts code

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)dcc(dot)uchile(dot)cl>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Performance with new nested-xacts code
Date: 2004-07-01 06:11:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Jul 01, 2004 at 12:21:55AM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:

> This brought me up short. I sure as heck do not see anything in that
> patch that would represent a performance gain over before, especially
> not in the very vanilla-flavor cases exercised by pgbench. Do you see
> an explanation?

Oh, also the inval.c code now is saving a lot of pfrees at each
transaction end.

By the way, thank you very much for the code review. The commit message
said "with some help from," but it actually should have been something
like "more than half of the patch rewritten by." Lots of things are
much simpler and of course a lot of bugs are gone.

"You knock on that door or the sun will be shining on places inside you
that the sun doesn't usually shine" (en Death: "The High Cost of Living")