Re: Tablespace patch review

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>
Cc: Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Tablespace patch review
Date: 2004-06-20 00:55:57
Lists: pgsql-patches

Andreas Pflug wrote:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
>

> >I don't see why an admin tool can't connect to each database and get a
> >listing of what is in each tablespace. I don't think connecting to 100
> >databases to get that information will be slow.
> >

> Well, whatever you call slow or not slow.
> I checked it; connecting 10 databases, retrieving tablespace
> dependencies (pg_class union pg_schema) and closing takes about one
> second over an ssl connection, 0.2 seconds with non-ssl. This was a
> trusted connection, can't check what will happen with md5, krb or so.

Well, we could use something like dbsize to report how much disk space
is used by each database in the tablespace (it does an 'ls' in the
directory as a server-side function), and connect to the database to get
actual table names.

I can't think of any clean system that would allow access to the table
names in other databases without connecting to them.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us