Re: Just to give an idea ...

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>, pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Just to give an idea ...
Date: 2004-06-06 21:45:15
Lists: pgsql-www

Marc,

> Truth be told ... only clients that notice anything are those running
> webmail, and even on a 'dedicated machine' I find webmail to be dog slow

Well ... that's Hordemail for you. They packed it full of features, but
didn't every troubleshoot its performance issues. A lot of the slowness of
Hordemail is the truly vast number of tiny images on the screen to make it
look "snazzy".

Communigate Pro webmail is a *lot* faster. They acheived this by providing
only the essential features, and a bare-bones interface. And, of course,
it's a commerical product (although very OSS-friendly).

> But, as far as pgfoundry.org is concerned, as was mentioned on the
> gforge-admins list, Andrew got Jan to take a look through the tables, and
> apparently there are few, if any, indices on them, which could account for
> how slow things look ...

Oh, I thought that had been fixed. Will fix as soon as I find my login info
again.

--
-Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions