Re: ACLs versus ALTER OWNER

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)dcc(dot)uchile(dot)cl>
To: Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: ACLs versus ALTER OWNER
Date: 2004-06-02 15:13:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Jun 02, 2004 at 10:54:36PM +0800, Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:
> >Well, the spec doesn't have create permissions per se, but they do have
> >a "usage" right on domains, and they specify that revoking that results
> >in dropping objects:
> >
> > 7) For every abandoned domain descriptor DO, let S1.DN be the
> > <domain name> of DO. The following <drop domain statement> is
> > effectively executed without further Access Rule checking:
> >
> > DROP DOMAIN S1.DN CASCADE
>
> Hmmm. Seems pretty harsh. But barring us implementing that (I don't
> see it happening for 7.5), just had an idea :)
>
> How about pg_dumpall dumps all users as superusers, and then changes
> them back to what they're supposed to be at the bottom of the script :)

Huh, how about a GUC var, say "creating_user", which would make objects
created by the superuser as created by whoever is mentioned there? The
dump connects only as superuser and changes creating_user as needed.

Not a pretty idea, but weren't you looking for kludges? :-)

"La persona que no quería pecar / estaba obligada a sentarse
en duras y empinadas sillas / desprovistas, por cierto
de blandos atenuantes" (Patricio Vogel)