Re: PostgreSQL delete the blank in the end of the String automatically. how can I avoid it?

From: Jeff Eckermann <jeff_eckermann(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-general (at) postgresql (dot) org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL delete the blank in the end of the String automatically. how can I avoid it?
Date: 2004-05-28 19:46:06
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-novice pgsql-odbc

--- Paul Thomas <paul(at)tmsl(dot)demon(dot)co(dot)uk> wrote:

> On 28/05/2004 13:04 xier(at)in(dot)tum(dot)de wrote:
> > hello,
> >
> > my Name is Rong. I am student at TU-Munich. I have
> some questions for
> > Postgresql7.2 under SuSe Linux.
> > Postgresql7.2 under SuSe Linux8.0.
> > I use PostgreSQL7.2 with PGAdminII1.4.2 under
> Windows2000.
> >
> > I insert a String from Teleform6.0 of Cardiff
> through ODBC in table of
> > PostgreSQL.
> > There should be some blank in the End of the
> String. e.g: "data
> > "
> > But there ist no blank in the end of the String in
> the table. e.g: "data"
> > It means, that PostgreSQL delete the blank in the
> end of the String
> > automatically.
> > But I need the blank in the end of the String.
> > how can I avoid it?
>
> AFAICT, it's not PostgreSQL which is causing your
> problem. I've just
> tested against 7.2.1 using psql and it does _not_
> remove trailing spaces.
> I think your problem is with your client code.

I had a thought that the ODBC driver could be
stripping the trailing spaces, but the test I just did
(using MS Access via ODBC) worked fine.

Thinking some more, I used a "text" type field for my
test. I have some recollection that varchar(n) fields
_will_ strip trailing spaces. But I'm too lazy to
test that right now.