Re: psqlODBC driver does not work

From: Bob Woodside <dumbledore(at)woodsway(dot)com>
To: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: "Yury Koles" <fresh_impression(at)hotmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: psqlODBC driver does not work
Date: 2004-05-14 20:31:55
Lists: pgsql-odbc

On Fri, 14 May 2004 06:41:04 +0000
"Yury Koles" <fresh_impression(at)hotmail(dot)com> wrote:

> I've problem getting the psqlODBC driver and ODBC in
> general to work on RedHat 9. I've built and installed
> PostgreSQL ver. 7.4.2, unixODBC driver manager
> ver. 2.2.8, and psqlODBC driver ver. 07.03.0200 without
> errors. In the documentation I've seen that the
> driver's name is libpsqlodbc.so, but I cannot find
> libpsqlodbc.so anywhere on the system. The psqlODBC
> distribution builds 'psqlodbc.so' and 'psqlodbc.la'. I
> tried using 'psqlodbc.so' in 'odbcinst.ini' as a value
> of the 'Driver' field, but I could not connect to my
> database using 'isql', namely, once I type the command
>
> isql -v examples_ODBC userfoo passwd
>
> and press ENTER 'isql' hangs and I have to kill it with
> ^C.
>
> Could somebody point me in the right direction. I
> don't even sure of the right library name. EVEN SHORT
> SUGGESTIONS APPRECIATED :-)

Are you using the full path to psqlodbc.so in your odbcinst.ini -
e.g.,

Driver = /usr/local/lib/psqlodbc.so

or wherever it got installed?

> I've built ODBC driver from unixODBC distribution:
> 'libodbcpsql.so' and connected using that one with
> isql.

In a word, don't. I'm not up on the history of that driver, but
I have the impression that it's fairly obsolete. I've never gotten it to
work properly. Someone else on the list may be able to shed some light
on its history.

By the way, I think you can drop the Setup variable from your
odbcinst.ini. I think that only had meaning for the unixODBC version of
the driver. Here's what the postgres entry in my odbcinst.ini looks
like.

[PostgreSQL]
Description = PostgreSQL 7.4.2 driver (psqlodbc-7.3.2)
Driver = /opt3/lib/psqlodbc.so
FileUsage = 1
CPTimeout =
CPReuse =