Re: BUG #1147: Getting rid of LD_LIBRARY_PATH

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Harald Fricke" <hfricke(at)hdz-nrw(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #1147: Getting rid of LD_LIBRARY_PATH
Date: 2004-05-12 15:19:36
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Am Donnerstag, 6. Mai 2004 18:30 schrieb Tom Lane:
> "PostgreSQL Bugs List" <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org> writes:
> > ./configure LDFLAGS="-R /usr/local/lib" --with-tcl

> > An easier way would be to append the value of LDFLAGS to the linker
> > commands building the shared libraries, not only to those building the
> > executables.
>
> AFAICS we do that too. So I'm still confused why you have a problem.

We only take the -L flags from LDFLAGS for the shared library link. This is
probably a result of paranoia. Can you think of a flag that is reasonable
for a user to set in LDFLAGS by hand that should not end up in the shared
library link? Useful LDFLAGS I can think of are -L, -l, -R (or equivalent),
debugging, optimization, profiling, and maybe some 32/64 bit selection, and
all of these can be passed to the shared library link. I'm not sure,
however, about the assignments in Makefile.hpux.