Re: Intermittent slowdowns, connection delays

From: "Jason Coene" <jcoene(at)gotfrag(dot)com>
To: "'Paul Tuckfield'" <paul(at)tuckfield(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Intermittent slowdowns, connection delays
Date: 2004-05-12 01:04:16
Lists: pgsql-performance

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the valuable feedback. I suspect you're correct about the
serialization in some capacity, but the actual cause is eluding me.

Basically, every time a registered user checks a page, the site has to
authenticate them (with a query against a table with > 200,000 records). It
doesn't update this table, however - it updates another table with "user
stats" information (last click, last ip, etc).

From what I've seen, there doesn't seem to be any serious locking issues.
It does make sense when a number of users whose information isn't in cache,
it could take a bit longer - but AFAIK this shouldn't prevent other
simultaneous queries. What else could cause such serialization?

If I look at open locks (this is a view, info from pg tables):

relname | mode | numlocks
----------------------+------------------+----------
users | AccessShareLock | 4
userstats | AccessShareLock | 4
pg_statistic | AccessShareLock | 2
users_ix_id | AccessShareLock | 2
countries | AccessShareLock | 2
comments | AccessShareLock | 2
countries_ix_id | AccessShareLock | 2
userstats_ix_id | AccessShareLock | 2
comments_ix_parentid | AccessShareLock | 2
users | RowExclusiveLock | 1
filequeue_ix_id | AccessShareLock | 1
pg_class | AccessShareLock | 1
vopenlocks | AccessShareLock | 1
pg_locks | AccessShareLock | 1
userstats | RowExclusiveLock | 1
filequeue | AccessShareLock | 1
pg_class_oid_index | AccessShareLock | 1

Also of note, executing a random "in the blue" query on our "users" table
returns results very fast. While there's no doubt that caching may help,
returning a row that is definitely not cached is very fast: < 0.05 sec.

Top tells me that the system isn't using much memory - almost always under
100MB (of the 2GB we have). Is there a way to increase the amount of
physical RAM that PG uses? It seems there's a lot of room there.

Postgresql.conf has:

shared_buffers = 16384
sort_mem = 8192
vacuum_mem = 8192

Also, would queries becoming serialized effect connection delays? I think
there's still something else at large here...

I've attached a vmstat output, while running dd. The RAID array is tw0. It
does show the tw0 device getting significantly more work, numbers not seen
during normal operation.

Thanks,

Jason Coene
Gotfrag eSports