== PostgreSQL Weekly News - April 19th 2004 ==

From: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
To: pgsql-announce(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: == PostgreSQL Weekly News - April 19th 2004 ==
Date: 2004-04-20 20:08:02
Lists: pgsql-announce

== PostgreSQL Weekly News - April 19th 2004 ==

If you measured project activity by the commit logs alone, you would
think things were really slow this week. While it is true there were only a
few changes to code this week, we did receive some exciting news that Fujitsu
is working on sponsoring development of several high profile features
including tablespaces, JDBC, PL/J, and nested transactions. Hopefully we will
see the fruits of this partnership before 7.5 goes out the door.

Speaking of 7.5, let's do a quick run through of changes for the week.
The parser was modified so that names occurring in GROUP BY clauses are
sought first as local FROM columns, then as local SELECT-list aliases, and
finally as outer FROM columns; the former behavior made outer FROM columns
take precedence over aliases. The COPY command and \copy functionality was
enhanced to allow dump and load easier in several popular formats like CSV,
QUOTE, and ESCAPE. For more specifics on the new keywords involved, check the
developers docs. Last but not least, Tom Lane spent some time reviewing and
improving on the new ARC buffer management code for 7.5.

On the web front, we had several new mirror sites registered this
week, including mirrors in Indonesia, Puerto Rico, and Switzerland. We are
also happy to see the launch of a new home for PostgreSQL User's Groups at
http://pugs.postgresql.org/. The first of these sites is for the San
Fransisco chapter, you can view information about SFPUG at
http://pugs.postgresql.org/sfpug/. If you are interested in putting your
PostgreSQL User Group on the web, please contact josh(at)postgresql(dot)org(dot) One
last item for those who haven't noticed, there's a new on-line poll question
on the main website regarding PostgreSQL support companies, so check it out.

== PostgreSQL Product News ==

EduPhant v2.0b2 available
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-announce/2004-04/msg00003.php

GroupLink Delivers CRM Appliance
http://www.crn.com/sections/BreakingNews/dailyarchives.asp?ArticleID=49409

Uwerkz Shipping New Database Utility
http://www.macobserver.com/article/2004/04/19.13.shtml

PEAR DB 1.6.2 released
http://www.postgresql.org/news/178.html

Mammoth PostgreSQL Replicator 1.2 (7.3.6) released
http://www.emediawire.com/releases/2004/4/emw119171.htm

Announcing www.SQL-Scripts.Com
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-sql/2004-04/msg00169.php

== PostgreSQL In the News ==

Open source databases gaining ground, analysts say
http://software.newsforge.com/software/04/04/14/1347227.shtml?tid=72&tid=74&tid=82

Registration Opens for the 2004 O'Reilly Open Source Convention
http://www.ebcvg.com/press.php?id=260

Building a Parrot Compiler
http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2004/04/15/parrot_compiler_construction.html

== Upcoming Events ==

European Regional Open Source Conference: Yerevan, Armenia: June 28-30
Bruce Momjian will be speaking at the Conference
http://www.opensourcearmenia.com/osconference

OSCon: Portland, OR. USA: July 26-30
There will be a PostgreSQL Track with many community members participating.
http://conferences.oreillynet.com/os2004/

== PostgreSQL Weekly News - April 19th 2004 ==
Don't forget to read Elein Mustain's Weekly Summary of the PostgreSQL
General Mailing List http://www.varlena.com/GeneralBits/

On the Web:
http://www.postgresql.org
http://advocacy.postgresql.org