Re: Bulk updates/inserts

From: Christoph Haller <ch(at)rodos(dot)fzk(dot)de>
To: alyandon(at)yahoo(dot)com (Shelby Cain)
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Bulk updates/inserts
Date: 2004-04-14 14:51:31
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

> Is it currently possible to perform bulk
> updates/inserts via host arrays using ecpg? If so,
> would someone mind showing me an example of the proper
> syntax as I can't seem to come up with something that
> the ecpg preprocessor likes.
>
> On a side note, if ecpg doesn't support bulk
> inserts/updates are there any plans for adding such
> support? Is there anyway programmatically to get
> close to the same speed for inserts/updates as say the
> COPY command?
>
> Regards,
>
> Shelby Cain
>
> __________________________________

Doing bulk inserts via host arrays is not possible AFAICT.
I posted a similar request in February 2003.
See
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-interfaces/2003-02/msg00091.php

BTW, I don't see how a bulk update could be done.

There is a way to use COPY programmatically via libpq:

something like ...

PQexec("COPY xxx FROM stdin");
for (...)
{