SIG-BEER-WEST this Saturday 4/17 in San Francisco

From: David Alban <extasia(at)extasia(dot)org>
To: sfpug(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: SIG-BEER-WEST this Saturday 4/17 in San Francisco
Date: 2004-04-14 14:30:10
Lists: sfpug

SIG-beer-west
Saturday, April 17, 2004 at 6:00pm
San Francisco, CA

Beer. Mental stimulation.

This event:
Saturday, 04/17/2004, 6:00pm, at the Zeitgeist Bar and Guest Haus,
San Francisco

Coming events (third Saturdays):
Saturday, 05/15/2004, 6:00pm, location to be determined
Saturday, 06/19/2004, 6:00pm, location to be determined
Saturday, 07/17/2004, 6:00pm, location to be determined
Saturday, 08/21/2004, 6:00pm, location to be determined

San Francisco's next social event for techies and their friends,
sig-beer-west, will take place at 6:00pm on Saturday, April 17,
2004 at Zeitgeist Bar and Guest Haus[3] located at 199 Valencia
at Duboce[4] in San Francisco, CA.

[3] http://www.sonic.net/~wwpints/zeitgeist/
[4] http://tinyurl.com/2hacx

According to their website, Zeitgeist has:

plenty of drafts, mostly micro-brewed beers,[5] a good selection of
call liquors, a beer garden, and hotel accomodation

[5] http://www.sonic.net/~wwpints/zeitgeist/#Beers

Concerning food, they say:

the grill opens around 6.00 p.m. each day and closes when
everyone's fed (or Aundre's fed up)

Festivities will start at 6:00pm and continue until we've all left.

Zeitgeist is on the corner of Valencia and Duboce[6] and looks
like this.[7] It's three blocks from the 16th St BART station[8]
(16th St and Mission).

[6] http://tinyurl.com/2hacx
[7] http://www.sonic.net/~wwpints/zeitgeist/exterior.html
[8] http://tinyurl.com/3f8mp

When you show up, you should look for some kind of home made
sig-beer-west sign. We will try to make it obvious who we
are. :-) Note: Please look for the sig-beer-west sign, not for a
particular person. sig-beer-west may have different hosts from
month to month.

Everyone is welcome at this event. We mean it! Please feel free to
forward this information and to invite friends, co-workers, and
others (all of legal drinking age) who might enjoy lifting a glass
with interesting folks from all over the place.

Can't come this month? Mark your calendar for next month. (Do it
now before you forget!) sig-beer-west occurs on the third Saturday
of each month.

Any questions, comments, suggestions of things to do later on that
evening, or new venue suggestions ... email the current
sig-beer-west Instigator. The Instigator's Username is extasia. The
Instigator's email address is *the Username* at *the Username* dot
*org*.

sig-beer-west FAQ

1. Q: Your announcement says "techies and their friends". How do I
know if I'm a techie, or a friend of one?

A: Well, actually, you don't have to be a techie to attend. You
just have to be able to find the sig-beer-west sign at this
month's event. That's it. Simple, huh?

2. Q: I'm not really a beer person. In fact I'm interested in
hanging out, but not in drinking. Would I be welcome?

A: Absolutely! The point is to hang out with fun, interesting
folks. Please do join us.

3. Q: Is parking difficult in the city, like maybe I should factor
this into my travel time?
A: Yes.

Note for April 2004: Zeitgeist is three blocks from 16th
St BART.[9] You may want to consider BARTing[10] and not worrying
at all about parking.

[9] http://tinyurl.com/3f8mp
[10] http://www.bart.gov/

sig-beer-west was started in February 2002 when a couple Washington,
D.C. based systems administrators who moved to the San Francisco Bay
area wanted to continue a dc-sage[11] tradition, sig-beer, which is
described in dc-sage web space as:

SIG-beer, as in "Special Interest Group - Beer" ala ACM, or as in
"send the BEER signal to that process".

[11] http://www.dc-sage.org/

The original SIG-beer gathering takes place in Washington DC, usually
on the first Saturday night of the month.

Last modified: $Date: 2004/04/13 00:12:43 $