Re: SQL challenge--top 10 for each key value?

From: elein <elein(at)varlena(dot)com>
To: Jeff Boes <jboes(at)nexcerpt(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: SQL challenge--top 10 for each key value?
Date: 2004-04-11 01:54:35
Lists: pgsql-sql

This solution will be in Monday's edition of
PostgreSQL General Bits (http://www.varlena.com/GeneralBits).
(In other words, if it doesn't do what you mean, let me know now!)

CREATE TYPE topscores AS
(id integer, query integer, checksum char(32), score integer);

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION topscores(integer) RETURNS SETOF topscores AS
'
DECLARE
t topscores%ROWTYPE;
r RECORD;
q RECORD;
n alias for $1;
BEGIN
FOR q IN SELECT distinct query from table70 order by query LOOP
FOR t IN SELECT id , query, checksum, score
FROM table70
where query = q.query
ORDER BY query, score DESC LIMIT n LOOP
RETURN NEXT t;