No error-checking on binary timestamp

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: No error-checking on binary timestamp
Date: 2004-04-02 20:16:38
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Greetings,

Based on some experimentation and reading through the code in:
src/backend/utils/adl/timestamp.c ; it would appear that there's no
error-checking when receiving a binary timestamp. I wouldn't care if
I had figured out the binary timestamp format on the first shot but
apparently I didn't and this happened:

atl=> select * from a5_lan;
ERROR: timestamp out of range

No errors during the insert, but when I tried to select out of the
table I inserted the data into that's what I got. Pretty ugly.
Please fix. :)

I wouldn't mind some pointers on the proper way to convert from unix
time to timestamp binary format either, btw. I was attempting to do
basically the same thing 'AbsoluteTimeUsecToTimestampTz', but
apparently that's not right. :)

Stephen