Re: PG vs MySQL

From: Mike Nolan <nolan(at)gw(dot)tssi(dot)com>
To: scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org (Marc G(dot) Fournier)
Cc: jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com (Joshua D(dot) Drake), scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org (Marc G(dot) Fournier), alex(at)meerkatsoft(dot)com (Alex), postgresql(at)finner(dot)de (Frank Finner), pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PG vs MySQL
Date: 2004-03-30 00:16:03
Lists: pgsql-general

> Now, that doesn't preclude clients from seeing the names of another
> clients database using \l, but unless there is gross mis-management of the
> pg_hba.conf, seeing the names of other databases doesn't give other
> clients any benefits ...

That rather depends upon what those clients are doing, doesn't it?

I can see benefits from being able to completely isolate one client/database
from another, even to the point of not giving them any hints that they're
sharing the same database server. (Depending on how fanatical I am about
it, there are other solutions, such as separate instances or completely
separate physical systems, but those present a different set of
administrative issues.)

It may be more of a marketing issue than a technical one. If we want
increased commercial acceptance, that may be one of the higher priority
features from an ISP's (or his clients') point of view, if not from ours.
--
Mike Nolan