Re: createdb fails

From: Bill Chandler <billybobc1210(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: createdb fails
Date: 2004-03-27 03:58:54
Lists: pgsql-cygwin

--- Christof Glaser <gcg(at)gl(dot)aser(dot)de> wrote:
> Some ideas though:
>
> - Perhaps the pg_hba.conf settings don't allow to
> connect to template1?
>
> It should contain lines like
> local all all trust
> host all all 127.0.0.1 255.255.255.255 trust

Yes, my pg_hba.conf contains both these lines.

> - Did you try
> psql -h localhost -l # list all databases:
> template0 and template1
> should show up

This gives me the message:

Could not receive server response to SSL negotiation
packet: Resource temporarily unavailable

At this point I tried starting postmaster directly
with SSL connection enabled using the command:

postmaster -l -D /usr/local/pgsql/data &

This failed with the log message:

FATAL: could not load server certificate file
"/usr/local/pgsql/data/server.crt": No such file
or directory

> connecting using TCP/IP instead of socket?
>
> In postgresql.conf then there must be
> tcpip_socket = true

Yes, I have this line in postgresql.conf.

> - Perhaps you have another copy of PostgreSQL
> installed?
> Mixing the client of one version with the server of
> another gives
> mostly unexpected results.

Nope, this is the only version I've ever installed.

Could I have installed it wrong somehow? I followed
the instructions here:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faqs/text/FAQ_MSWIN

The only thing I did differently (I'm pretty sure --
it's been a couple of weeks) was that when I first
attempted to run initdb I got an error about not
having an encryption package installed. I did some
research on the web and found others solved the
problem by installing the cygwin package:

Libs -> "crypt: Encryption / Decryption utility
and library

Could it be a config problem on my XP box? Is there
something I need to change in my networking
configuration?

Thanks again.

Bill