Re: limiting \l [list all databases]

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Justin Camp <j(at)intuitivecreations(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: limiting \l [list all databases]
Date: 2004-03-23 18:09:04
Lists: pgsql-admin

Justin Camp wrote:
> Greetings!
>
> I apologize if this has been previously posted..
>
> I run a server with multiple clients running databases on one server,
> and I was wondering if there was a way to limit the list all databases
> function within the pgsql program to only list databases within a
> criteria, say, what they have permission to see?
>
> Or perhaps, if that is not possible, a way to shut off the
> functionality entirely, from the server side?

It is not possible. pg_database is a global table, visible to all
databases. I can't think of a way to limit such visibility. Perhaps
you can create a pg_database in the public schema and have it only
return the current database and template1. That might work, or it might
not, but the pg_database will still be visible in pg_catalog.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us