Re: [ADMIN] Benchmarking postgres on Solaris/Linux

From: Andrew Sullivan <ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca>
To: "'pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org'" <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [ADMIN] Benchmarking postgres on Solaris/Linux
Date: 2004-03-23 17:36:32
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-performance

On Mon, Mar 22, 2004 at 04:05:45PM -0800, Subbiah, Stalin wrote:
> being the key performance booster for postgres. what is the preferred OS
> for postgres deployment if given an option between linux and solaris. As

One thing this very much depends on is what you're trying to do.
Suns have a reputation for greater reliability. While my own
experience with Sun hardware has been rather shy of sterling, I _can_
say that it stands head and shoulders above a lot of the x86 gear you
can get.

If you're planning to use Solaris on x86, don't bother. Solaris is a
slow, bloated pig compared to Linux, at least when it comes to
managing the largish number of processes that Postgres requires.

If pure speed is what you're after, I have found that 2-way, 32 bit
Linux on P-IIIs compares very favourably to 4 way 64 bit Ultra SPARC
IIs.

The fact that technology doesn't work is no bar to success in the marketplace.
--Philip Greenspun