BUG #1104: postmaster crashes

From: "PostgreSQL Bugs List" <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: BUG #1104: postmaster crashes
Date: 2004-03-17 21:53:16
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Bug reference: 1104
Logged by: Neeraj K Sharma

Email address: neeraj(dot)sharma(at)arroyo(dot)tv

PostgreSQL version: 7.4

Operating system: Linux 7.3 Kernel 2.4.19

Details:

Hi Tom,

I have already filed this bug. I have been also asked more information. I
was trying to reply your mail but event time it was bounced with the
following message.

[***************************************************]
[BUGS] BUG #1074: postgresql crashes

This is the Postfix program at host cmlapp00.siteprotect.com.

below could not be delivered to one or more destinations.

If you do so, please include this problem report. You can delete your own
text from the message returned below.

The Postfix program

<tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>: host sss.pgh.pa.us[192.204.191.242] said: 550 5.0.0 Go
away, spammer (in reply to MAIL FROM command)

Reporting-MTA: dns; cmlapp00.siteprotect.com
Arrival-Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 19:32:59 -0600 (CST)

Final-Recipient: rfc822; tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us
Action: failed
Diagnostic-Code: X-Postfix; host sss.pgh.pa.us[192.204.191.242] said: 550

--- Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

> "PostgreSQL Bugs List" <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>

> writes:

> > The database cores with the following message

> printed on screen.

> > WARNING: specified item offset is too large

> Hmm. AFAICS this should always be followed by an

> ERROR message. There

> are at least two issues here: why does this message

> occur, and why does

> a crash follow instead of more-graceful error

> recovery?

> Does any additional information show up in the

> postmaster log?

> Could you provide your test program? Could you

> provide a stack trace

> from the backend core dump?

> regards, tom lane]

Here I am sending you now logfile, code stack trace, & code dump file.

I was trying to create a small program that could simulate out system but so
far that program is not able to reproduce the bug. I might have to make more
changes in the program. I'll let you know as soon as I have that program
ready.

************* logfile *******************************
WARNING: specified item offset is too large
PANIC: failed to add item to the page for "s_stream_status_change_idx"
STATEMENT: INSERT INTO S_STREAM_STATUS_CHANGE VALUES
('1376578','TestStream:1079033994852:27:1378591','f','0','0')
LOG: server process (PID 27467) was terminated by signal 6
LOG: terminating any other active server processes
WARNING: terminating connection because of crash of another server process
DETAIL: The postmaster has commanded this server process to roll back the
current transaction and exit, because another server process exited
abnormally and
possibly corrupted shared memory.
HINT: In a moment you should be able to reconnect to the database and
repeat your command.
[...]

************** CORE STACK TRACE ***********************
(gdb) where
#0 0x42029241 in kill () from /lib/i686/libc.so.6
#1 0x4202902a in raise () from /lib/i686/libc.so.6
#2 0x4202a7d2 in abort () from /lib/i686/libc.so.6
#3 0x081bac1d in errfinish ()
#4 0x081bb6bf in elog_finish ()
#5 0x08083781 in _bt_pgaddtup ()
#6 0x08082378 in _bt_insertonpg ()
#7 0x08083211 in _bt_insert_parent ()
#8 0x080822a1 in _bt_insertonpg ()
#9 0x08081beb in _bt_doinsert ()
#10 0x0808544a in btinsert ()
#11 0x081bee7b in OidFunctionCall6 ()
#12 0x08081162 in index_insert ()
#13 0x080f8d29 in ExecInsertIndexTuples ()
#14 0x080f31c1 in ExecInsert ()
#15 0x080f2fc9 in ExecutePlan ()
#16 0x080f2208 in ExecutorRun ()
#17 0x0815d186 in ProcessQuery ()
#18 0x0815daf0 in PortalRunMulti ()
#19 0x0815d601 in PortalRun ()
#20 0x0815a741 in exec_simple_query ()
#21 0x0815ca92 in PostgresMain ()
#22 0x0813a969 in BackendFork ()
#23 0x0813a1ed in BackendStartup ()
#24 0x08138a89 in ServerLoop ()
#25 0x081384d2 in PostmasterMain ()
#26 0x0810c68d in main ()
#27 0x42017499 in __libc_start_main () from /lib/i686/libc.so.6

-- Neeraj K Sharma
Arroyo Video Solutions
Pleasanton, CA, 94588