Re: The big MySQL spin

From: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: The big MySQL spin
Date: 2004-03-11 20:40:32
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On Thu, 11 Mar 2004, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> You almost never (I never have) seen a migration that says:
>
> We moved to Linux and PostgreSQL over MSSQL and Windows2000 because
> Linux is better or PostgreSQL is bettter.

Actually, it depends on the environment ... I spent about 7years in a
University CS dept and "costs" for the MS stuff wasn't a factor, but MS
products were avoided like the plague when it came to production stuff ...
I had a good portion of productions servers (dhcp, named, mail, news,
proxy, etc) moved to FreeBSD (and PostgreSQL, where applicable) before I
left because it *was* better, not because of costs ...

----