Re: ZDNet story (well, publicity from some research company)

From: Jonathan Gardner <jgardner(at)jonathangardner(dot)net>
To: Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: ZDNet story (well, publicity from some research company)
Date: 2004-03-11 20:46:44
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On Thursday 11 March 2004 12:44 am, Richard Huxton wrote:
> http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1104_2-5171543.html
>
> "But open-source databases haven't been a guaranteed path to success. One
> company, Great Bridge, closed its doors in 2001, after failing to make a
> business out of the PostgreSQL package.
>
> And while top Linux seller Red Hat is trying to expand into software
> beyond the operating system, it no longer promotes its Red Hat Database,
> released in 2001, in its list of Red Hat applications."
>
> The study itself seems positive from the quotes involved.

Isn't this more evidence of Bruce Momjian's point that we are not tied to
one company, but we are a true community? One of the companies may fail,
another company may withdraw some R&D and PR resources, but we still plow
ahead. We aren't inseperably tied to the fortunes of one, two, or a group
of companies. We aren't inseparably tied to the fortunes of even specific
individuals.

This is how we can claim to be more "future-proof" than any other DB out
there. These companies are gone or are withdrawing some support, but we are
still here and as vibrant as ever! If the companies and individuals that
support us now were to go away, we would still be here. What database can
say that besides us?

--
Jonathan Gardner
jgardner(at)jonathangardner(dot)net