Re: Comparison of PGSQL and DB2

From: Jonathan Gardner <jgardner(at)jonathangardner(dot)net>
To: josh(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Comparison of PGSQL and DB2
Date: 2004-03-11 20:30:38
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On Tuesday 09 March 2004 10:22 am, Josh Berkus wrote:
> > Automatic Summary Tables
> > (Transparently provide the pre-aggregation/summarization of data to
> > dramatically improve the performance of transactions or queries that
> > require such data.)
>
> Under development, possibily available with 7.5. These are otherwise
> know as "materialized views".

It is certainly possible to implement Materialized Views in PostgreSQL -- we
are using them for RedWeek.com right now. I wrote a page about the
experience, and I am currently working with a version 2 of the document.

As far as a "CREATE MATERIALIZED VIEW" syntax, and generic functions to do
any MV, those don't exist and probably won't in time for 7.5.

--
Jonathan Gardner
jgardner(at)jonathangardner(dot)net