Re: Postgresql on SAN

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: "Anjan Dave" <adave(at)vantage(dot)com>, <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Postgresql on SAN
Date: 2004-02-19 17:36:47
Lists: pgsql-performance

Anjan,

> Has anyone designed/implemented postgresql server on storage networks?

Yes, Zapatec.com runs their stuff this way. Probably others as well.

> Are there any design considerations?

I don't know. Probably.

> Are there any benchmarks for storage products (HBAs, Switches, Storage
> Arrays)?

Not specific to PostgreSQL. I'm sure there are generic benchmarks. Keep
in mind that PostgreSQL needs lots of 2-way I/O, batch writes, and random
reads.

> Any recommendation on the design, resources, references, keeping PG in
> mind?

See above. Also keep in mind that PostgreSQL's use of I/O should improve
100% in version 7.5.

--
-Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions