Re: bytea or blobs?

From: Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>
To: Dana Hudes <dhudes(at)tcp-ip(dot)info>
Cc: Dana Hudes <dhudes(at)tcp-ip(dot)info>, pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: bytea or blobs?
Date: 2004-02-18 16:08:22
Lists: pgsql-sql

On Wednesday 18 February 2004 15:17, Dana Hudes wrote:
> How can one measure the result of the compression -- can I see this in
> some table or with some pgsql command?

Hmm - not so far as I know.

> At what threshold does it take place, I think its 8192?
> The nasty bit is not one picture of 100kb.
> Its 20 pictures of 5kb.

I'd have thought 5KB would trigger it - 8192 is the limit for a row (which
TOASTing is designed to remove). There are/were some technical notes on TOAST
when it was being built/introduced - googling might well find them.

What I'd suggest is grab some suitably representative images, base64 encode
them and see how much it takes to store 100,000 copies of them.
--
Richard Huxton
Archonet Ltd