SIG-BEER-WEST this Saturday 2/21 in San Francisco

From: David Alban <extasia(at)extasia(dot)org>
To: sfpug(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: SIG-BEER-WEST this Saturday 2/21 in San Francisco
Date: 2004-02-17 01:07:26
Lists: sfpug

SIG-beer-west
Saturday, February 21, 2004 at 6:00pm
San Francisco, CA
http://extasia.org/sig-beer-west/

Beer. Mental stimulation.

sig-beer-west is two years old this month. Happy Birthday
sig-beer-west!

This event:
Saturday, 02/21/2004, 6:00pm, at Thirsty Bear Brewing Company, San Francisco
directions: http://www.thirstybear.com/Directions.html
beer: http://www.thirstybear.com/Beers.html
food: http://www.thirstybear.com/Dinner.html

Coming events (third Saturdays):
Saturday, 03/20/2004, 6:00pm, location to be determined
Saturday, 04/17/2004, 6:00pm, location to be determined
Saturday, 05/15/2004, 6:00pm, location to be determined
Saturday, 06/19/2004, 6:00pm, location to be determined

San Francisco's next social event for techies and their friends,
sig-beer-west, will take place at 6:00pm on Saturday, February 21,
2004 at Thirsty Bear Brewing Company[1] in San Francisco, CA.

[1] http://www.thirstybear.com/

About the Thirsty Bear:

Celebrator Beer News[2] says:

Thirsty Bear takes its name from the headline of a 1991 news
article that founder, co-owner and brewmaster Ron Silberstein, then
a San Francisco attorney, spied in a local paper: "Thirsty Bear
Bites Man for Cold Beer." It seems an escaped circus bear wandered
into a neighborhood pub somewhere in the Ukraine, snatched a man's
beer from him, drank a few glasses, then fell happily into a nap.
The bitten pub patron, Victor Kozlov, earned his own beer at the
new Thirsty Bear -- Kozlov Stout.

[...]

The beers are distinctively American, simple, classic styles
modeled after the greats from England, Ireland, Belgium and the
Czech Republic.

[2] http://celebrator.com/9610/Freccia-ThirstyBear1096.html

OpenTable.com[3] says:

Spanish dishes with Catalan specialties are served alongside pints
of house-brewed ales, lagers, and stouts.

[3] http://www.opentable.com/restaurant_profile.asp?ID=2

wGuides.com[4] says:

From the outside, this brew-pub has the look and size of a
warehouse. The interior, however, has been designed with comfort
in mind. Tables and stools offer plenty of room to relax, while
pool and darts are available if you feel more energetic.

The cuisine here is a fabulous mix of Spanish, Basque, and Catalan
dishes which make for an exotic feast. They go perfectly with a
spicy pint of dark ale.

[4] http://www.wguides.com/city/39/128_8124.cfm

I can personally vouch for the Kozlov Stout and the (seasonal) Winter
Bock. And the tapas. Oh my goodness, the tapas...

Festivities will start at 6:00pm and continue until we've all left.
Directions to Thirsty Bear can be found on their directions page.[5]
They're a ten minute walk from the Montgomery BART station.

[5] http://www.thirstybear.com/Directions.html

When you show up, you should look for some kind of home made
sig-beer-west sign. We will try to make it obvious who we are. :-)
Note: Please look for the sig-beer-west sign, not for a particular
person. sig-beer-west may have different hosts from month to month.

Everyone is welcome at this event. We mean it! Please feel free to
forward this information and to invite friends, co-workers, and
others (all of legal drinking age) who might enjoy lifting a glass
with interesting folks from all over the place.

Can't come this month? Mark your calendar for next month. (Do it now
before you forget!) sig-beer-west occurs on the third Saturday of
the month.

Any questions, comments, suggestions of things to do later on that
evening, or new venue suggestions ... email the current sig-beer-west
Instigator. The Instigator's Username is extasia. The Instigator's
email address is the Username at the Username dot org.

sig-beer-west FAQ

1. Q: Your announcement says "techies and their friends". How do I
know if I'm a techie, or a friend of one?

A: Well, actually, you don't have to be a techie to attend. You
just have to be able to find the sig-beer-west sign at this
month's event. That's it. Simple, huh?

2. Q: I'm not really a beer person. In fact I'm interested in
hanging out, but not in drinking. Would I be welcome?

A: Absolutely! The point is to hang out with fun, interesting
folks. Please do join us.

3. Q: Is parking difficult in the city, like maybe I should factor
this into my travel time?

A: Yes. (Note for February 2004: Thirsty Bear is a ten minute
walk from Montgomery BART. You may want to consider
BARTing[6] and not worrying about parking.

[6] http://www.bart.gov/

sig-beer-west was started in February 2002 when a couple Washington,
D.C. based systems administrators who moved to the San Francisco Bay
area wanted to continue a dc-sage[7] tradition, sig-beer, which is
described in dc-sage web space as:

SIG-beer, as in "Special Interest Group - Beer" ala ACM, or as in
"send the BEER signal to that process".

The original SIG-beer gathering takes place in Washington DC, usually
on the first Saturday night of the month.

[7] http://www.dc-sage.org/