Export to [application]

From: Chris Gamache <cgg007(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Export to [application]
Date: 2004-02-13 17:41:07
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

I apologise if I'm resurrecting a dead horse, only to be beaten once and then
reburied. I apologise if I am hijacking a current thread. (I did dig through
the archives to see if there was a recent discussion on these issues...)
Thirdly, I apologise for the first apology's graphic depiction of a decaying
horse corpse. :)

There are two features missing from PgAdmin III that were well used in PgAdmin
II:

Being able to edit rows from a query, if not for the edit capability, then for
being able to copy the contents of cells to the clipboard. We can talk about
that some other time.

The other feature was the Export to [application] feature. (I know, There IS an
export to file feature.)

Export to Excel was, by far, the best feature of PgAdmin II. In one click, I
could have my data thrown directly into a table. I understand that PgAdmin III
does not know nothing of COM, or OLE. However, PgAdmin III CAN deal with MIME.
There shouldn't be a problem with creating a MIME bridge to Excel with a binary
export of an Excel table (with proper column types, etc.), or even a delimited
text file. In windows, explorer is smart enough to know what application needs
to be launched to read a specific file. A Linux Window Manager should be able
to do the same, and if not, then a launch app could be written to launch an
application with the contents of the exported file piped to it.

CG