Re: Trouble compiling C++ programs: libpq++ error in Red Hat v9

From: "Jeroen T(dot) Vermeulen" <jtv(at)xs4all(dot)nl>
To: "Mike S(dot) Nowostawsky" <mikenowo(at)sympatico(dot)ca>
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Trouble compiling C++ programs: libpq++ error in Red Hat v9
Date: 2004-02-12 14:32:08
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

On Wed, Feb 11, 2004 at 08:54:57PM -0500, Mike S. Nowostawsky wrote:
> I am having trouble compiling programs (that I created back in Red Hat v7.1)
> because of the libpq++ libs (they don't exist in RH9). I tried finding them
> on the net but can't install them because of the various dependency
> conflicts with RH9.

Package dependencies can sometimes be overly strict. You may be able to
get away with building your own libpq++ from the latest sources (see gborg)
and installing that version.

> How can I get this to compile now in RH9? Is there a replacement for the old
> libpq++ libs I can point to? Thx!

There is libpqxx, but it's a completely new API--not a drop-in replacement
for libpq++. It's more flexible than libpq++ in most ways, so porting your
code shouldn't be too difficult if it's relatively straightforward stuff.

You can find libpqxx at http://pqxx.tk/

Jeroen