Need new project admin for unbundled Tcl interface libpgtcl?

From: L J Bayuk <ljb220(at)mindspring(dot)com>
To: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: karl(at)procplace(dot)com, brett_schwarz(at)yahoo(dot)com
Subject: Need new project admin for unbundled Tcl interface libpgtcl?
Date: 2004-02-10 01:48:54
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

It has now been over a year since the last beta release of the unbundled
libpgtcl on gborg.postgresql.org. This interface seems to have gotten
itself stuck part-way towards unbundling. Are the project admins still
around (Brett Schwarz and Karl Lehenbauer)? From back in Nov 2002, I think
the 1.4b3 code was release quality, but there wasn't much documentation.
Now the code also needs to be resynchronized with fixes in the bundled
libpgtcl.

If the current project admins don't want it, nobody else steps forward, and
the PostgreSQL Group is still in favor of unbundling this interface, I
would like to take over the project. I've done some work on the code, and
my own version is much further along than 1.4b3 on gborg. I have:
- Rolled in the PostgreSQL-7.4 (and later) fixes;
- Added new features: prepared queries, extended error codes,
transaction status, extended field attributes, backend parameters,
notice/warning message handlers, NULL value testing (these are
also in my pgin.tcl pure-Tcl interface);
- Various cleanups, fixes, finish conversion to Tcl objects;
- A Makefile for the free Borland C compiler to build a DLL for
Windows, which works with the latest ActiveState Tcl binary release;
- A test suite using tcltest;
- Made lots of progress on the Docbook documentation.

What do you think? Should the (former) admins step aside, and let me
take over? Or do we give up and re-bundle it?