Re: Binary installer

From: Cyrille Chepelov <cyrille(at)chepelov(dot)org>
To: Merlin Moncure <merlin(dot)moncure(at)rcsonline(dot)com>
Cc: Claudio Natoli <claudio(dot)natoli(at)memetrics(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers-win32 <pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Binary installer
Date: 2004-01-24 09:49:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32

Le Fri, Jan 23, 2004, à 09:11:40AM -0500, Merlin Moncure a écrit:
> Claudio Natoli wrote:
> > > Clearly we will need an installer for a binary distribution.
>
> The nullsoft installer is quite nice. Not sure about Microsoft .msi
> packaging...I'm sure that's pretty easy to work with, too. The
> installer should besides unzip, offer to run a few batch files (initdb,
> etc), set up the environment, and offer set up the postmaster as a
> service.

From what I know, NSIS is a bit difficult to work with if you want to go
much beyond unpacking a bunch of files and setting stuff in the
registry (which it does nicely and in a reversible way). Specifically,
there is little support for registering a service and tweaking
permissions.
But the killer is that you can't turn an NSIS install into an MSI merge
module.
OTOH, the bare MSI tools aren't renowned for ease of use, and stuff like
InstallShield or Wise are neither Free nor free. For what it's worth,
Python uses Wise.

-- Cyrille