== PostgreSQL Weekly News - January 19th 2004 ==

From: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
To: pgsql-announce(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: == PostgreSQL Weekly News - January 19th 2004 ==
Date: 2004-01-19 20:46:22
Lists: pgsql-announce

== PostgreSQL Weekly News - January 19th 2004 ==

This week seemed to pass by without to much uproar, which makes for a
short and sweet weekly news. I noticed a lot of the changes made tended to
be performance related, but I think it was more by accident than design.

Shared memory requirements for the ARC buffer replacement strategy were
adjusted. A misestimation of indexscan CPU costs when evaluating non-constant
expressions compared to the index variable was corrected. Building on a
previous optimization with IN subqueries returning DISTINCT results, the
optimizer will also now recognize the use of UNION/INTERSECT/EXCEPT (without
ALL) as well. Dynamically loaded C functions were sped up by adding a hash
table to cache lookups. Initial testing indicates this should put external
functions on par with built in functions.

On the documentation front, We now have experimental setup for
processing the documentation via XSLT in cvs. The plan is to test this setup
to make sure that the results and performance are up to snuff, and then move
to this as the primary method for building docs.

One final note, PyGreSQL 3.4 was released this week. PyGreSQL is
PostgreSQL interface module for Python. You can read the full announcement
at http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-announce/2004-01/msg00012.php

== PostgreSQL Product News ==

MySQL PHP 2 Postgres 0.93 Released
http://freshmeat.net/projects/mysqlphp2postgres/?branch_id=6909&release_id=147934&topic_id=861

== PostgreSQL In the News ==

Open-Source Databases Win New Converts

Hibernate Your Data
http://www.onjava.com/pub/a/onjava/2004/01/14/hibernate.html

== Upcoming Events ==

LinuxWorld: New York, New York: January 21
Bruce Momjian will host a PostgreSQL BoF
http://www.postgresql.org/event.php?EventID=180

New York PHP Meeting: New York, New York: January 27
Bruce Momjian will be presenting an introduction to PostgreSQL
http://nyphp.org/content/calendar/view_entry.php?id=50&date=20040127

NordU Usenix 2004: Denmark: January 28 - February 1
Bruce Momjian will be giving PostgreSQL several tutorials
http://www.nordu.org/NordU2004/

Linux Solutions 2004: Paris, France: February 3-5
Bruce Momjian will be presenting
http://www.solutionslinux.fr/en/index.php

== PostgreSQL Weekly News - January 19th 2004 ==
Don't forget to read Elein Mustain's Weekly Summary of the PostgreSQL
General Mailing List http://www.varlena.com/GeneralBits/

On the Web:
http://www.postgresql.org
http://advocacy.postgresql.org