pltcl - cannot create 'normal' interpreter - Tcl_CreateSlave() fails - A solution

From: Patrick Samson <p_samson(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: pltcl - cannot create 'normal' interpreter - Tcl_CreateSlave() fails - A solution
Date: 2004-01-14 09:40:24
Lists: pgsql-patches

This proposed patch is related to:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-cygwin/2004-01/msg00024.php

Add a call to Tcl_FindExecutable() in
pltcl.c - pltcl_init_all(),
just before the call to Tcl_CreateInterp().

It should be called with argv[0] as argument, but I
don't know how to get this piece of information for
pltcl.dll. Anyway, for Windows, it is unused
(see win/tclWinFile.c - TclpFindExecutable()). Just a
value != NULL is OK, so I used an empty string.

[Jan Wieck, I'm only interested in cygwin platform.
I suggest you investigate deeper to make this
"workaround" cleaner, in order to be also compatible
with pure Unix platforms.]

Without this call, and with only the setting of the
TCL_LIBRARY environment variable, Tcl_CreateSlave()
seems to fail somewhere else, with this message:
--------------------------
This probably means the server terminated
abnormally
before or while processing the request.
The connection to the server was lost.
Attempting reset: Succeeded.
I didn't spend time on this issue, just added the
call.

My proposed patch generated with:
$ diff -u pltcl.orig pltcl.c
is attached.