SIG-BEER-WEST this Saturday 1/17 in San Francisco

From: David Alban <extasia(at)extasia(dot)org>
To: sfpug(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: SIG-BEER-WEST this Saturday 1/17 in San Francisco
Date: 2004-01-14 01:08:22
Lists: sfpug

SIG-beer-west
Saturday, January 17, 2004 at 6:00pm
San Francisco, CA
http://extasia.org/sig-beer-west/

Beer. Mental stimulation.

This event:
Saturday, 1/17/2004, 6:00pm, at the 21st Amendment Brew Pub, San Francisco
directions: http://www.21st-amendment.com/location/index.html
beer: http://www.21st-amendment.com/beer/index.html
food: http://www.21st-amendment.com/food/index.html

Coming events (third Saturdays):
Saturday, 02/21/2004, 6:00pm, location to be determined
Saturday, 03/20/2004, 6:00pm, location to be determined
Saturday, 04/17/2004, 6:00pm, location to be determined
Saturday, 05/15/2004, 6:00pm, location to be determined

San Francisco's next social event for techies and their friends,
sig-beer-west, will take place at 6:00pm on Saturday, January 17, 2004
at [1]21st Amendment Brew Pub in San Francisco, CA.

[1] http://www.21st-amendment.com/21A.html

21st Amendment's [2]selection of beer includes their own delightful
brews, and a fair selection of guest brews. They have a full [3]food
menu and I can personally recommend the sweet potato straws and the
grilled Monterey Bay squid. Festivities will start at 6:00pm and
continue until we've all left.

[2] http://www.21st-amendment.com/beer/index.html
[3] http://www.21st-amendment.com/food/index.html

Directions to 21st Amendment can be found on their [4]directions page.
They're about a fifteen minute walk down 2nd St. from the Montgomery
BART station.

[4] http://www.21st-amendment.com/location/index.html

When you show up, you should look for some kind of home made
sig-beer-west sign. We will try to make it obvious who we are. :-)

Note: Please look for the sig-beer-west sign, not for a particular
person. sig-beer-west may have different hosts from month to
month.

Everyone is welcome at this event. We mean it! Please feel free to
forward this information and to invite friends, co-workers, and others
(all of legal drinking age) who might enjoy lifting a glass with
interesting folks from all over the place.

Can't come this month? Mark your calendar for next month. (Do it now
before you forget!) sig-beer-west occurs on the third Saturday of the
month.

Any questions, comments, suggestions of things to do later on that
evening, or new venue suggestions ... email the current [5]sig-beer-west
Instigator.

[5] extasia a.t extasia d.o.t org

sig-beer-west FAQ

1. Q: Your announcement says "techies and their friends". How do I
know if I'm a techie, or a friend of one?

A: Well, actually, you don't have to be a techie to attend. You
just have to be able to find the sig-beer-west sign at this
month's event. That's it! Simple, huh?

2. Q: I'm not really a beer person. In fact I'm interested in hanging
out, but not in drinking. Would I be welcome?

A: Absolutely! The point is to hang out with fun, interesting
folks. Please do join us.

3. Q: Is parking difficult in the city, like maybe I should factor
this into my travel time?

A: Yes.

Note for January 2004: 21st Amendment is a fifteen minute walk
from Montgomery BART. You may want to consider [6]BARTing and
not worrying at all about parking.

[6] http://www.bart.gov/

sig-beer-west was started in February 2002 when a couple Washington,
D.C. based systems administrators who moved to the San Francisco Bay
area wanted to continue a [7]dc-sage tradition, sig-beer, which is
[8]described in dc-sage web space as:

SIG-beer, as in "Special Interest Group - Beer" ala ACM, or as in
"send the BEER signal to that process".

The original SIG-beer gathering takes place in Washington DC,
usually on the first Saturday night of the month.

[7] http://www.dc-sage.org/
[8] http://www.dc-sage.org/SIG-beer/