Re: Of Conventions: PHPCon & Comdex

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)dcc(dot)uchile(dot)cl>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, PostgreSQL advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Of Conventions: PHPCon & Comdex
Date: 2003-11-13 05:23:07
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On Thu, Nov 13, 2003 at 12:06:16AM -0500, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> I had two 3-hour tutorials. I had about 20 at the first, and about 10
> at the second. I didn't have any talks on the non-tutorial days, though
> there were tons of MySQL talks.

[...]

> Strange report, huh?

Yep. Last week we had an "Encuentro Nacional de Linux", which is
basically that sort of event for the whole lot of open source community
in Chile. I gave my usual talk (an hour or so) on Postgres and had my
usual share of 100 or 150 people (this is about 1/4 the total
attendance, I guess). I'm not a professional speaker by whatever
measure so I'm not sure why people keep coming to my talks ;-)

Anyway there were some good questions and I received good comments
afterwards. I am told there are some people that start using Postgres
because of its presence at the Encuentro Nacional.

MySQL has never had a talk here. Guess we are not a big enough market
for MySQL AB.

BTW, there's this article at LWN.net, "MySQL gets more customers,
doubles sales" (http://lwn.net/Articles/57920/). If you read the user
comments, there are only 2 which do _not_ mention PostgreSQL (out of 7).

"Uno puede defenderse de los ataques; contra los elogios se esta indefenso"