Re: Reducing duplicated business rules

From: Daniel Struck <struck(dot)d(at)retrovirology(dot)lu>
To: Michael Glaesemann <grzm(at)myrealbox(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-php(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Reducing duplicated business rules
Date: 2003-11-06 15:52:10
Lists: pgsql-php

> Of course PostgreSQL will throw back an error if I tried to insert or
> update data that will make the check constraint untrue, which is as it
> should be. Is there any way to use this feedback from Postgres instead
> of running my own checks in PHP, and still provide useful feedback to
> the user (rather than the naked PostgreSQL error code)?

I am right now also looking how to get a feedback from a postgrsql-check back to php.

I thought about using named constraints:

CREATE TABLE test (
id SERIAL,
[whatever fields you need]

CONSTRAINT "!!!#Please check XYZ in the formular#" CHECK ([whatever you like to test])
);

Next, I would check in php if an error occured in the sql-query, if the error includes "!!!" in the error message from postgresql I would display the formular again with the values already entered and I would display as a feedback to the user the string between the two "##":

Please check XYZ in the formular

One drawback is of course that it will only give feedback from one error at a time.

greetings,
Daniel

--
Retrovirology Laboratory Luxembourg
Centre Hospitalier de Luxembourg

phone: +352-44116105
fax: +352-44116113
web: http://www.retrovirology.lu
e-mail: struck(dot)d(at)retrovirology(dot)lu