Proposal: psql force prompting on notty

From: Michael Mauger <mmaug(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Proposal: psql force prompting on notty
Date: 2003-11-01 06:51:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

I'm the maintainer of sql.el in GNU Emacs. On both the Mac OS X
and the Windows/Cygwin platform we've had reports that psql run
under Emacs does not issue a prompt for commands.

I did a little research and it appears that the cause is that
pset.notty is being set to false because stdin/stdout are not
a tty (pgsql-server/src/bin/psql/startup.c). I'd like to
propose that an option be added to the psql command line to
override the detection of the tty and force the prompting for
commands on stdin.

I believe the attached patch should add the option -I to psql
and force the prompt to appear as if it were an interactive
session regardless of the state of stdin/stdout. I do not
have a configuration available to properly test this however.

Please be sure to include me in any replies since I do not
subscribe to this list. TIA.

-- Michael