OSDL DBT-2 w/ PostgreSQL 7.3.4 and 7.4beta5

From: markw(at)osdl(dot)org
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: osdldbt-general(at)lists(dot)sourceforge(dot)net
Subject: OSDL DBT-2 w/ PostgreSQL 7.3.4 and 7.4beta5
Date: 2003-11-01 00:18:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I thought someone might be interested in a data point I have comparing
7.3.4 and 7.4beta5 with results from our DBT-2 workload. Keep in mind I
haven't done much tuning with either version. The following links have
references iostat, vmstat, sar, readprofile (linux kernel profile), and
oprofile (postgresql profile) statistics.

Results from 7.3.4:
http://developer.osdl.org/markw/dbt2-pgsql/184/
- metric 1354.58

Results from 7.4beta5
http://developer.osdl.org/markw/dbt2-pgsql/188/
- metric 1446.01

7.4beta5 offers more throughput. One significant difference I see is in
the oprofile for the database. For the additional 7% increase in the
metric, there are about 32% less ticks in SearchCatCache.

These are the only database parameters I've explicitly set for each one,
any other differences will be differences in default values:
- shared_buffers = 40000
- tcpip_socket = true
- checkpoint_segments = 200
- checkpoint_timeout = 1800
- stats_start_collector = true
- stats_command_string = true
- stats_block_level = true
- stats_row_level = true
- stats_reset_on_server_start = true

If anyone has any tuning recommendations for either 7.3 or 7.4, I'll be
happy to try them. Or if anyone wants to be able to poke around on the
system, we can arrange that too. Feel free to ask any questions.

--
Mark Wong - - markw(at)osdl(dot)org
Open Source Development Lab Inc - A non-profit corporation