dumping tables from badly damaged db

From: Brian Ristuccia <bristucc(at)sw(dot)starentnetworks(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: dumping tables from badly damaged db
Date: 2003-10-31 16:19:43
Lists: pgsql-admin

Recently I had a problem where a system crash scribbed on some directories,
which landed a bunch of files, including a few of the system table files for
one of my databases, in lost+found along with a zillion other files.

I might be able to find the file for this table/index in lost+found, but how
do I know what name to give it in /var/lib/postgres/...? These files are
named after OID's which I can't find because I can't connect to the
database.

If I can't get the file back, is there any way I can dump the data out of
the remaining tables?

Currently, I can't connect to the database with the following error:

psql: FATAL 1: cannot open pg_class_relname_index: No such file or directory

I suspect that's very bad, considering the centrality of the pg_class
table...

--
Brian Ristuccia
bristucc(at)sw(dot)starentnetworks(dot)com