Re: running postgres in a ramdisk

From: Keith Keller <kkeller-sfpug(at)wombat(dot)san-francisco(dot)ca(dot)us>
To: SF Postgres <sfpug(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: running postgres in a ramdisk
Date: 2003-10-15 04:53:48
Lists: sfpug

On Tue, Oct 14, 2003 at 04:12:22PM -0700, William Yu wrote:
> Tmpfs is dynamically resizable but the big
> gotcha is that under 32-bit Linux, you're limited to 4GB max for a
> ramdisk of any type.

Hmm, that could be a huge problem--one of our tables is over 4GB. I
could be wrong, but can the kernel option to support more than 4GB of
physical memory help here? Or is it a limitation of the ramdisk itself?
We do tentatively plan on using linux, though a kernel recompile is
fairly easy for us to do.

I don't think we're *that* close to being able to do this; we're just
getting ideas for whether it's feasible or not, and whether it'd be a
big speed win or not. It sounds like it is feasible, so if we do get
the funding we could test a full-on ramdisk configuration against
letting postgres do a ton of memory caching with an on-disk database,
and see if we see any performance improvements.

--keith

--
kkeller(at)speakeasy(dot)net
alt.os.linux.slackware FAQ: http://wombat.san-francisco.ca.us/cgi-bin/fom