Re: [GENERAL] interesting PHP/MySQL thread

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)dcc(dot)uchile(dot)cl>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>, "Advocacy (PostgreSQL)" <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>, PostgreSQL-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] interesting PHP/MySQL thread
Date: 2003-06-23 04:46:21
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-docs pgsql-general

On Sun, Jun 22, 2003 at 11:57:10PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)dcc(dot)uchile(dot)cl> writes:
> > Better hurry. Sterling Hughes is proposing to enable SQlite support by
> > default; that move could be bad for the lobbying of activating Pg
> > support.
>
> SQlite? Sure, give it a try.

Actually, I read the website right after I sent the email and I was...
"surprised." I am still wondering if it allows some kind of concurrent
access.

> (I was slightly astonished to compare
> these two pages:
> http://www.hwaci.com/sw/sqlite/omitted.html
> http://www.hwaci.com/sw/sqlite/datatypes.html

The omitted features I can understand. But his take on datatypes is
really simplistic (read: absurd.)

> I'd be happy if PHP would adopt a database-neutral stance, ie, nothing
> in particular bundled into their core distribution.

What probably won't do. If they are desperate enough to activate SQLite
by default, it means they want to have at least database support at all
times.

> Maybe we could talk them into bundling more than one DB interface ---
> if they put both PG and SQlite support into their distro, that'd be
> fine with me too.

Sure, because users are very likely to use Postgres if support is readily
available (and it is already installed by default or at least included
in most Linux distributions).

"La persona que no quería pecar / estaba obligada a sentarse
en duras y empinadas sillas / desprovistas, por cierto
de blandos atenuantes"
(Patricio Vogel)