Re: change log 7.3.3

From: Paul Thomas <paul(at)tmsl(dot)demon(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: "pgsql-general (at) postgresql (dot) org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: change log 7.3.3
Date: 2003-05-28 23:46:03
Lists: pgsql-general

On 28/05/2003 20:32 Henrik Steffen wrote:
> would be nice to have it on the download page,
> so one doesn't need to download the complete tarball...
>
> just an idea ;-)

+1

Unfortunately (IMO) PG seems to follow something of a trend in OSS of
announcing a release but not saying what has changed in that announcement
(or even pointing to a URL which lists the changes). OK, so I'm sitting
here on a DSL line and can download 7.3.3 (maybe 3-4 minutes), un-pack it
and look at the history file then either install or ignore the release as
I see fit. I'm one of the lucky ones. Many people are not so lucky and
have to download on a metred 56K dial-up line - probably taking something
like 1.5 hours. Don't these people deserve some consideration? How much
effort would it take to provide a bullet list of changes since the last
release externally to the download? Not a lot IMHO. Come on guys, you've
got a great product, with generally good documentation, why let yourselves
down on this point?

--
Paul Thomas
Business |