Re: SAP and MySQL to cooperate (?!)

From: Jean-Michel POURE <jm(dot)poure(at)freesurf(dot)fr>
To: <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: SAP and MySQL to cooperate (?!)
Date: 2003-05-26 10:56:11
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Le Samedi 24 Mai 2003 09:53, Ricardo Ryoiti S. Junior a écrit :
> I think it's all about a marketting move. I don't imagine how SAP
> DB and MySQL could be "merged", and developing a new system from scratch
> doesn't seem to be plausible. I don't expect much from this at least in
> short/mid-term (regarding software, not media hype). Anyway, in two or
> three years we may se a new database that possibly will do what PostgreSQL
> does now and have been doing for a long time.

Agreed. MySQL will not merge with SAP-DB.

Legaly, SAP needs to maitain installed SAP DB databases. Calling SAP BD the
next "MySQL version x" will allow SAP to drop SAP DB silently. In other
words, SAP DB strory may be over.

Why do companies try to pretend things? What is the advantage of releasing
false information? Now, I have come to the point where I can hardly believe
press anoucements of commercial products. On the long run, it can only
destroy the marketing image of both products.

Furthermore, SAP-DB story shows the importance of the notion of "community". A
Free Software project cannot survive without a real community of developpers.

MySQL is now coming to a cross-road : they can continue owning MySQL
completely without external contribution, or start building a community with
real CVS access and shared responsabilities.

Cheers,
Jean-Michel

-> Please note this email is the expression of my own opinion, which people
may or may not share.