Re: constraint with reference to the same table

From: "Victor Yegorov" <viy(at)nordlb(dot)lv>
To: Rudi Starcevic <rudi(at)oasis(dot)net(dot)au>
Cc: Postgres Performance <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: constraint with reference to the same table
Date: 2003-05-15 00:12:39
Lists: pgsql-performance

* Rudi Starcevic <rudi(at)oasis(dot)net(dot)au> [15.05.2003 02:59]:
> Hi,
>
> Can I confirm what this means then ..
>
> For large table's each column with ref. inegritry I should create an
> index on those columns ?

I think, that indicies are needed only at delete stage to decrease search
time of possible referencing rows.
Not only, of course, but when we speak about
INSERT/UPDATE/DELETE data it is so.

On the other side, indicies increases total query runtime, because for
each row deleted/updated/inserted it'll be necessary to update each index.

In my case, I at first drop "cyclic" constraints, do the job and then
restore them.

--

Victor Yegorov