Re: [HACKERS] Are we losing momentum?

From: Sean Chittenden <sean(at)chittenden(dot)org>
To: Rod Taylor <rbt(at)rbt(dot)ca>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Curt Sampson <cjs(at)cynic(dot)net>, Brent Verner <brent(at)rcfile(dot)org>, PostgreSQL Patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Are we losing momentum?
Date: 2003-04-21 21:17:55
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-general pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

> It's out of date and I did not receive any feedback on it (so I assume
> it's not very useful), but the patch submitted in late February would
> easily allow the described 'translation' to occur.

> Schema in backend translates a \<command> <arg> command into an sql
> query which is then to be executed. Logic is still in psql, but the
> available commands and how data is retrieved from the schema was backend
> specific.
>

> I'm using it here due to it's ability to add new psql commands (since
> it's just data in a table.)
>
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-patches/2003-02/msg00216.php
>

> Anyway, might be useful for thoughts. Simply moving the commands into
> the backend still leaves us with unsupported new commands in old clients
> or new commands in old databases (leaving errors) unless the SHOW ...
> syntax itself is handled by the backend.
>
> > :-/ Yeah, I've been following that from a distance and I'm not so wild
> > about that. I really like that the information_schema has been
> > integrated into the base, but translating the SHOW commands into
> > SELECTs from information_schema on the backend seems like a bad idea
> > unless its going to be done abstract enough via some kind of rewrite
> > engine that allows users to program the database to translate their
> > verbiage into SQL (ex: KILL -> DROP, GET -> SELECT), which could be
> > kinda fun.

Anyone other than Rod (and now myself) had a chance to look this over?
This doesn't really address the lack of a SHOW syntax for new MySQL
users, but it sure does open up the possibilities for making it easier
to probe the backend.

On a related note, any thoughts on the SHOW stuff given that the topic
has come back to life on -hackers? -sc

--
Sean Chittenden