How to insert soft CRs in db records

From: Ennio-Sr <nasr(dot)laili(at)tin(dot)it>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: How to insert soft CRs in db records
Date: 2003-04-20 00:35:49
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hi!
In an attempt to recover in some way a .dbt file (relative to a .dbf
file transformed in a pg table) I'm facing some difficulties.
I created a single column pg-table and filled it with the text coming
from the .dbt (previously converted to a linux text file).
To obtain separate records (one for each ex-dbt quasi-record) I had to
manipulate heavily the text file and to cancel all CRs used in the
original .dbt for formatting purposes.

Now the first question is:
"Is there any simpler way to do that?" or "How to avoid that sql
interpretes each line feed (of the original txt file) as the end of a
record?"
Missing a positive answer, the second question would be:
"Is there any way to format the single records (inserting line feeds,
tabs, etc.) considering that the column has been created as a charvar?"

Thanks for your attention and have a nice and peaceful Easter everybody.
Ennio.

--
[Perche' usare Win$ozz (dico io) se ..."anche uno sciocco sa farlo. \\?//
Fa' qualche cosa di cui non sei capace!" (diceva Henry Miller) ] (°|°)