Re: Tech Docs and Consultants

From: Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>
To: Justin Clift <justin(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: elein(at)varlena(dot)com, elein <elein(at)sbcglobal(dot)net>, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Tech Docs and Consultants
Date: 2003-04-14 14:43:16
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On Monday 14 Apr 2003 12:13 pm, Justin Clift wrote:
> Josh Berkus wrote:

> > I suspect that someone new will need to take over Techdocs, in which case
> > I'll take it and be moving it to Zapatec. Wanna help me port
> > everything?
>
> Now before *anyone* says what'll be done with the Techdocs site next,
> please lets think about what the PostgreSQL Community will benefit from
> most as it's next stage of growth. The best _logical_ place for it is on
> hub.org servers with everything else, but frankly... it generates extra
> workload for the guys running those servers so I'd be more interesed in
> seeing it elsewhere. Still named "techdocs.postgresql.org" if possible
> (Marc?) but lets take the opportunity to reduce potential workload on
> Chris/Marc/hub.org/etc and explore other possibilities.

Is there any reason why the multi-user interactive part of techdocs needs to
actually be at techdocs?

What I'm trying to rather clumsily say is: run whatever cms/wiki you want at
www.generouscompany.com and just publish static HTML to techdocs.

PS - I've tried the wiki thing there currently, and I'm not convinced that for
a document with sql/plpgsql in it it's any easier than HTML. If the solution
ends up being FTP accounts, a template and my favourite text editor so be it
- it's not like a few tags will scare contributors.

PPS - PG/PHP/Perl experience, just shout if I can be of any use. Not too proud
to do testing/cut & paste/search & replace etc.

--
Richard Huxton