Re: Finding the PID keeping a transaction open

From: Andrew Sullivan <andrew(at)libertyrms(dot)info>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Finding the PID keeping a transaction open
Date: 2003-03-25 15:30:49
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Tue, Mar 25, 2003 at 09:37:41AM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> In 7.3 you could look at the pg_locks system view, but I can't think
> of any reasonable way to do it in 7.2 :-(

Thanks. I was afraid you'd say that. Rats.

> would take many minutes --- which you'd have to do with the LockMgr lock
> held to keep them from changing underneath you. This seems quite

Well, then, _that's_ a non-starter. Ugh.

> It's conceivable that some version of the pg_locks code could be
> back-ported to 7.2 --- you'd have to settle for dumping the info to
> the log, probably, due to lack of table-function support, but it
> could be done.

I think it's probably better just to work on making the whole thing
work correctly with 7.3, instead. I'm keen to move it, and 7.3 seems
stable enough, so I'm inclined just to move that up in priority.

Thanks,

----
Andrew Sullivan 204-4141 Yonge Street
Liberty RMS Toronto, Ontario Canada