Re: Index File growing big.

From: Rajesh Kumar Mallah <mallah(at)trade-india(dot)com>
To: PRAGATI SAVAIKAR <pragati(at)phildigital(dot)com>, <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Index File growing big.
Date: 2003-02-26 07:29:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-performance

I remember this is your second posting for the same problem.

I hope you are aware that postgres can manage multiple databases that
lie in different partitions.

If its feasible for you you may think of moving the *big* tables in another
database which can be initialised in another partition. it depends on ur app
design as you will have to create a new db connection.

another possibility is to buy a new bigger hdd ofcourse ;-)
and migrate the data.

also i think the <tableid>.1 or <tableid>.2 are extensions of the
datafile not index files. index files have seperate id of their own.
pg_class have that id in relfilenode.

in case i am getting the problem wrong , my query is have you relocated the
index files also and created the symlinks ? (using ln -s)

Also 7.2.1 is too old an version to use in 7.2.x series 7.2.4 is latest
and in 7.3.x 7.3.2 is latest.

regds
mallah.

--

Regds
Mallah

Rajesh Kumar Mallah,
Project Manager (Development)
Infocom Network Limited, New Delhi
phone: +91(11)6152172 (221) (L) ,9811255597 (M)

Visit http://www.trade-india.com ,
India's Leading B2B eMarketplace.