numeric datataypes as seperate library

From: Michael Meskes <meskes(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: PostgreSQL Hacker <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: numeric datataypes as seperate library
Date: 2003-02-26 11:00:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Did anyone ever think about creating a library that is able to handle
our numeric datatype? I'm currently thinking about adding this datatype
among others to the ones know to ecpg so no one is forced to convert
them or work on the strings. On the other hand I'm not sure if anyone's
interested in this feature as you could always keep the numbers as
strings and let the database do all calculation stuff. But then you
cannot use the datatype in C.

And of course I don't like the idea of linking in the GPLed
GNU MP library on default as this would create licensing problems.

Michael
--
Michael Meskes
Email: Michael(at)Fam-Meskes(dot)De