Re: Changing the time on the server

From: "Nikolaus Dilger" <nikolaus(at)dilger(dot)cc>
To: demolish(at)cwgsy(dot)net
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Changing the time on the server
Date: 2003-02-21 15:23:15
Lists: pgsql-admin

Donald,

It depends on your application and by how much you
change the time.

If you have a database field that is populated with the
system time when you insert records your application
logic may not work as intended.

Not sure why you would want to play with the system
clock in the first place. If you use NTP (Network Time
Protocol) your server will always have the exact time.
If your time is off you usually only have to change it
once to the correct time. And it is good practice to
have the database down if you ever have to set the time
backwards. E.g. if my system clock would be 15 minutes
to fast, I would keep the database down for at least 15
minutes after chaning the clock back to avoid mismatch
in the timestamps.

Regards,
Nikolaus Dilger